Sunday, February 22, 2015

Creating discussion groups in Moodle

For most online asynchronous discussions that I create in Moodle, I use the "standard discussion forum" option. I have had requests from colleagues to explain how I go about setting up these discussion groups, so I thought I'd create a blog entry here to show what I do. I'll start by showing what can happen if you don't create discussion groups, and then I'll show the approach that I use when I create groups.


Option 1: Posting discussion question without creating discussion groups

In Moodle, when you create a standard discussion forum, one option is to post the discussion question in what I call the "foyer" of the discussion forum. When students click on the discussion, they see the question posted in the foyer, but the only way in which they can respond is by clicking on the "Add a new discussion" button.


screen shot showing the Moodle standard discussion forum "foyer" and the "add a new discussion topic" button








When they click the "Add a new discussion" button, this opens up a window in which students have to add a new discussion topic. In my experience this causes confusion right away, because the term "add a discussion topic" suggests that the students are creating their own topics, when in fact (usually) the instructor's intent is for the students to discuss the topic the instructor created. Students' reaction here is often is, "But I don't want to add a new topic -- I just want to respond to the instructor's question!" They also have to pick a subject for their topic (deepening the confusion, since they are thinking, "I didn't know that I had a choice! I thought the subject was the one the instructor gave us when asking the question?"). But they go ahead anyway, and create a subject, and then type their response to the instructor's question in the message box and click to post their message to the forum.
Screen shot showing the new discussion topic window where students have to add their own subject and then type in the message box







So now the next student to come along and click on the Moodle forum is faced with a dilemma. They see the instructor's question, but also now they see that there is a discussion started by the first student. So do they click to add a new discussion topic to post their own response, or do they click on the discussion already started by the first student? 











If students add a new discussion topic in response to the instructor's question, then it is as if students had entered the foyer of a building, been given a question, and each has then has gone off into their own room (their new discussion topic) to share their response to an empty room. 

What this leads to is separate and parallel discussions happening. As each student comes in and creates their discussion topic, more and more isolated rooms are created. This makes it very difficult for students to engage with each other around the initial question. Instead, they have to enter each room, one at a time, and respond to the person who created the room. This becomes centered on the room creator's post, rather than each student engaging with others in the group around the central question, and from there, also engaging with each other as the discussion unfolds. Additionally, it can be very overwhelming once other students join in. e.g. if there are 24 students in the class, each creating their own "room" to respond to the question, even if students do try to engage with each other, there are 24 separate and isolated discussions going on.

Note: There are times when I do want students each to create their own discussion, such as if I ask them each to research a unique topic and then share their findings with the whole class. When I do this I use the option in Moodle to create a "Each person posts one discussion" forum option, rather than a Standard Forum (see screenshot below). In this case, I do want the discussion in that "room" to be centered on the room creator's post. So what happens is that once each student has shared their research report, I then ask them to go into the discussions created by 2 peers and provide their peers feedback and/or ask questions about their peers' report. 
Screen shot showing each person posts one discussion option in Moodle


Option 2: Creating discussion groups within the Standard Forum for general use

Another way to use the standard forum is for the instructor to create discussion groups. Using this method (as the instructor) I create a standard the forum and use the forum "foyer" to set the stage for the discussion. Here I provide the background to the discussion. Then I direct students to click on their group's discussion forum which they see listed below my directions. I create the groups ahead of time.

As noted in the screenshot below, usually I have students in groups of 5-7 students (as I have found that if there are fewer than 5, the students don't have the opportunity to see sufficient variation in responses. More than 7 makes the discussion too hard to follow). I group students heterogeneously based on a variety of factors, including gender, experience, subject area/grade level, and also (importantly) I try to distribute evenly across the groups both those students who tend to be what I call "penguins (those who jump into the water right away ) and the stragglers (those who tend to come in at the last moment). The reason for this is that if you have mostly stragglers in one group, it's hard to get the discussion off the ground!

This screenshot below shows the "foyer" and then the list of discussion groups. The name of the "topic" is just the name of the group along with group members' names. Students have to go into their group to see the question:

Screen shot showing manually created discussion groups





















Once students click on their group, they are then all in the same room, where they can see the discussion question and begin responding first to the question and then to each other, engaging with each other in a more natural discussion format. Moodle is set up to show the threads of the discussion, so when students reply to each other, their responses are indented below the response of the person to whom they are replying.

The screenshot below shows how my (instructor) question is the first post within the discussion group. To respond to my question, students click on the "reply" button. They can reply to my question or/and they can also reply to each other (by clicking on the "reply" link below their group members' responses).

Screen shot showing discussion question posted within group and the "reply" link for students to click to respond


















What do you do?

I am interested to hear from others about how you go about setting up discussions within Moodle, and also about your thoughts on my approach here. Please click on the "comment" link below and share your input!

Note: Because of FERPA regulations, as instructors we can't show each other real examples of discussion forums (because to do so means violating student privacy as their names are visible in the discussion forums).  Additionally, all too often we each disappear into our own teaching "silo" and don't share with each other how we are teaching. This means that we don't learn from each other -- both about what works and what doesn't. So I've taken the plunge here to share my approach. I invite and welcome responses to my blog post here, giving me feedback and suggestions about what I do, and also sharing with other readers of this blog what you do. Thanks!






8 comments:

  1. The use of online discussion has been a long journey for me. I remember back in the early days (I can't even remember the platform) I was very controlling about the process. I learned that the more I got out of the way, the better the discussions were!

    Most recently, via Moodle, I have kept the more open discussion concept that allows students to both create a foyer (love that metaphor) of their own AND encourages them to enter in the foyer's of others. The discussion portion of the course was not required each week - rather a place to engage others in topics that added to the material covered in the class material. For example, the request was that a new foyer was a way to share with the class a bit of course related information that was new, inviting others to make connections to what we were talking about in class.

    Students were asked to add foyers 2-3 times during the terms and to contribute to other foyers an additional 7-8 number of times. This allowed for more student choice of discussion thread to follow - with the goal of finding/connecting additional content/concepts/ideas to the course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, I really like your approach of using the discussion forum as a place where students can choose to come to engage with each other around topics of interest to them (rather than only or even necessarily as a required place for instructor initiated discussions).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you break the options for participation up into small groups, Helen! That is a fun idea that I have not tried. I can see that even in a fairly small class, this would be a way to develop team-based learning and build community.

    Like Paula, I have also pretty much stayed out of the way of my discussion forums. When I teach a fully online class, that changes. I feel that students want to "see" me and want to know what I think, so I do participate, but always with an eye towards their learning, not my expressing! ;-)

    Thanks for this helpful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! I just lost my very lengthy post. Have to come back to this another time...:-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to those of you who posted and had Blogger time out and lose your comments. I feel so bad that you took the time to respond and then lost all your wise words :( (I think that Blogger times out after a while -- so when you are ready to post it doesn't work. This is very frustrating!!).

    If you are willing to try again, what I recommend is that you compose your post in a separate document (e.g. Word, TextEdit, Notepad) and then when you are ready to post in the blog, copy and paste what you wrote into the comment box. Alternatively compose in the comment box, but before you hit "publish", select all and copy what you wrote, then publish. If your entry doesn't post, then just click to comment again, and paste what you wrote back into the comment box.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Warning: what follows is off-topic, and perhaps therein lies the answer to the questions I pose here…

    I am not a Moodle user, but Canvas offers what seems to be a similar kind of discussion setup to the one you describe. I use discussion groups in conjunction with synchronous class meetings (Adobe Connect,) and in the past have had discussion forums for my classroom-based courses as well.

    I look forward to the day when I am in a position to respond to your post about what kinds of online forums to use for student discussions. Alas, I frequently find myself stumped by a much simpler problem: I can’t seem to get my students to embrace the whole idea of online discussions, and to participate in them meaningfully, even when contribution to discussions is part of the course grade.

    I am clearly doing something wrong, but I can’t figure out what it is. I wish I were in Mitra’s and Paula’s position of opting to ‘get out of the way,’ but usually there’s nothing to get out of the way of. I’m just not very good at provoking discussion, and I would appreciate any tips those more successful than I can offer.

    By the way, all of the above applies to my US students. I now teach in Cambodia, and here the problem is even more challenging. Many of my students are very reluctant indeed to speak out in class or online, either in synchronous online classes or discussion forums or blog comments. There’s a cultural dimension to this, but I don’t know enough to be able to understand it adequately. Certainly it has to do with the unacceptability of appearing to challenge an older person in a position of authority, and perhaps also an unwillingness to lose face by appearing not to understand the topic at hand.

    Any tips from the experts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm quite sorry for responding so long after everyone else did, but I'm grateful for the chance.

    In the past six or seven years I've tried quite a few times to create opportunities for online discussions as an instructor and feel engaged in them as a doctoral student. In both roles I haven't figured out ways for required conversation to feel like anything other than pleasant yet forced, stilted interaction.

    My instincts and experiences tell me true give-and-take conversation is possible to achieve consistently via asynchronous, online, written posts; I've just neither fostered nor participated in it.

    As a teacher, I've tried two methods for fostering conversation: Facebook and Google Groups Forum. I used Facebook while teaching face-to-face courses in which I was experimenting with online discussion to continue chats we began in class. At the time, in about 2010-2011, it was possible to set up a Facebook group so private it couldn't be searched for; I'm not sure if that's still true. Students would have to friend me in order for me to make them part of the group, then I could immediately unfriend them without changing their membership.

    I'd usually have a discussion topic prompted within an hour or two of class ending, and some students would respond within an hour or two of that.

    Those "discussions" usually followed this pattern: lots of substantive, insightful stuff in the first five or six posts; usually one or two points to which I'd post a one-sentence follow-up question; a few more solid posts in response to the original prompt or my follow-up queries; maybe two or three additional comments from folks who had already posted; then a long string of usually thoughtful but very brief responses that suggested their writers hadn't read much of what other people had written.

    In face-to-face classes I vastly prefer large-group conversation because I'm not bad at drawing a lot of people's voices into the mix. In an online, string-based, linear chat, the whole process just feels more and more tedious and exhausting--even if it's engaging--as the string grows further and further down the page. It just becomes a lot more to read, even when the visual interface is pleasant enough.

    My Google Group experience, last Spring Semester, was similar in function--enjoyable at the start then a matter of endurance--but visually miserable. The interface is dreadful. I also, as a still-new Ed.D. in Teaching and Learning student, made the mistake of trying almost everything I'd been learning about in one semester; by two weeks in, I and my students were overwhelmed, and while I did cut some assignments (including the chats) and other obligations, I never really corrected course effectively.

    In almost two years of courses, including two intense weeks in July 2015, my Ed.D. cohort mates and I have never had what felt to me like a truly engaging Moodle discussion. We mostly post and respond when we're asked to. When we have to prioritize, Moodle is never at the top of the list.

    I would imagine there are cohorts in which online, asynchronous conversation feels natural and functions organically. I'd like to experience that. It must be exhilarating to watch as a teacher.

    I'm teaching an online section of WRIT 1120: College Writing (first-year composition) this summer. (Because I have a deep, intemperate bias against Moodle, I'll be using Sites and other Google tools.) I'm both excited and tentative about trying to foster community and collaboration via assigned chats. I feel like the ability to do it well is within me, but I'm not sure I know how to access it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, thanks so much for sharing your experiences here. I would love to get together to chat more about what you are doing and to learn from you about how you are using Sites and other Google tools to create your own LMS.

    ReplyDelete